Saturday, November 12, 2011

Chicken and Dumplings Pt 2

The chicken harvest went pretty well. I do not recommend processing a bird in molt. I didn't have a choice. The new feather casings are a lot like fish scales and made a big mess. Skinning wasn't particularly easy. Next time I'm going to pluck. I didn't do any documenting but I found this Paul Wheaton video VERY helpful! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_S3P0eU0lE&feature=relmfu
I wasn't as sad as I thought I might be. It wasn't violent and I was pretty focused on doing a good job. I did get a little weepy when it was all done but I feel good about the experience. After all, all meat is flesh and I know this bird lived a good life and came to a respectful end.

The meat was tough as was expected but a long simmer made for really good soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment